Thursday, August 1, 2013

An Egg in a Nest

I was a military kid.  One of those weird ones, though. I only moved once growing up.  I've moved many more times than that since college.  I didn't, however, get to escape my father being gone for long periods of time.  Especially in the summers.  And while my dad was off training soldiers, we spent a lot of time with my grandmother and aunts.

Those summers had some magic in them.  For two summers, we rented out a little condo on the shore at Destin, Florida.  We swam every morning and ate fish almost every night.  There's still this one albacore sandwich that has become the stuff of legend.  I remember how it tasted - it was SO good!! The afternoons and evenings were filled with fun and walks on the beach, games of cards and the family time of lore. 
One evening on the shore.  See our little brown selves?

Our lunches where easy ones but yummy ones.  BLT sandwiches.  And Eggs in a Nest.  I made one yesterday.  It took me back to those perfect summer days.  Whenever we left, my grandmother always said that the waves were saying, "Come Back!  Come Back!" And even though I've left that little nest and we are starting one of our own, those days bring back many smiles.


An Egg in a Nest

- corn tortilla
- cheese
- egg

First, heat up a little non-stick cooking spray in a pan.  Heat the tortilla on one side until it's a little crunchy and golden.  Flip the tortilla over and add cheese around the sides (like a nest - get it?!). 
Then crack your egg into the nest - I know, this is a really hard concept! 
And you cook it. This is a little bit trickier.  My mom would sometimes put a lid on the pan - usually using a plate - and cook it for a few minutes.  Then, when the egg was set, she'd flip it over until the egg had finished cooking.

If you can manage to keep the yolk in tack, it'd probably look much more like it's name.  It doesn't matter though, it's still a fabulous mixture of crunchy and cheesy and egg yumminess!!


No comments:

Post a Comment